Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Cootie Catcher or Attention Grabber?


Kansas Cootie Catcher

"Can we review our facts for Social Studies time?" Yes... those words are coming from my classroom! My students love to make cootie catchers (or what they call fortune tellers). I could ban them from the room but I believe in using whatever is handy to teach my lessons! I created this pattern in Word and they did the rest! This morning, I watched as they folded their papers, helped their friends with their cootie catchers, and walked around the room quizzing each other with smiles on their faces. They had so much fun and got some other valuable things from the experience, along the way! 
If you would like to try one for yourself, click here for the file.  

4 comments:

  1. Hello, my name is Mitchell Evans and I am a pre-service teacher at Illinois State University. I really enjoyed reading your blog, and I have a question. What do you think is the best "go-to" method to being creative in the classroom? I struggle with this aspect in my teaching episodes at school, and will be teaching k-2nd grade next semester.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mitchell! Thanks for reading my blog. I would have to say I find myself being more creative when I look at the big picture and find ways to integrate subjects. Sometimes I find myself in the midst of a lesson where I'm teaching or reviewing several skills from multiple subject areas. I also give myself permission to try something that may not turn out like I want. I learn from my mistakes just like I tell my students when they make mistakes.
    Now that I'm thinking about it, I also let go of as much control over my students' projects as possible so they can be creative and feel ownership. Good luck next semester!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of using whatever the kids enjoy and is available in the classroom. Wouldn't you consider this to be a good comprehension strategy after students read text?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could definitely be used for comprehension practice!

      Delete